It’s hard to take advantage of a Viking range’s superior heating power if the burners won’t even ignite. Why is my Viking gas range not lighting? A power source may not be providing adequate electrical power. Troubleshoot this common problem with the most likely reasons and solutions.
Viking Gas Range Not Lighting? This May Be Why…
As frustrating as it is when you find your Viking gas range not lighting, most burner issues have a DIY fix. Here’s how to determine what’s going on and restore function on your high-end range.
Check the Power Sources
Even though you have a gas range, it still requires electricity to power the igniter and other essential components. If you find your Viking gas range not lighting, make sure it’s properly plugged into a working outlet. If it is, check your home’s circuit breaker box for tripped breakers, resetting any if necessary.
If all power sources are working properly, it’s likely that dirty buildup is preventing the burners from lighting and requires a thorough cleaning.
Viking Burners May Need Cleaning
In most cases, a buildup of debris is responsible for a Viking gas range not lighting. Though you may quickly wipe down your range after each use, spills, grease, and food particles can collect unseen around burner components. This buildup can block the flow of gas to the burner or prevent the igniter from lighting it. While the following cleaning tips can restore function, it’s important to clean Viking oven and range parts regularly to prevent these problems.
Follow these simple steps to clean Viking range burner caps, bases, and sealed tops as well as the igniter:
- Lift burner caps straight up to remove.
- Wash with hot, soapy water or bleach-free Soft Scrub cleanser and a blue Scotch-Brite pad.
- For persistent staining, lay burner caps outdoors on newspaper and spray with Easy-Off oven cleaner. Let caps sit for 1-2 hours.
- Wash away cleaner with hot soapy water and make sure caps are completely dry before replacing.
- Scrub gently with hot soapy water and a paper towel. Avoid using any abrasive cloths, pads or cleansers that can cause scratches.
- For baked-on stains, soak the base with a hot towel to loosen debris.
- After soaking, use a wooden nylon brush to scrape away the stain. Refrain from using any metal tools to scrape the surface, as this will also cause scratching.
Sealed burner top:
- Wipe down the entire surface with hot soapy water and a soft cloth.
- Apply Soft Scrub bleach-free cleaner to stubborn spots and gently scrub with a blue Scotch-Brite pad. Use light pressure when scrubbing porcelain surfaces to avoid damage.
If the igniter also appears dirty, dip a Q-tip in rubbing alcohol and gently swab away any debris or blockages. Pat dry with a paper towel and allow the igniter to air dry completely before attempting to light the burner.
Check for Moisture Around the Burners
A Viking range burner does not light if there is moisture around the burner ports or igniter. Spills, splashes or even lingering cleaning solutions can block the flow of gas or prevent the igniter from sparking. Check for moisture around the burners and, if necessary, pat components dry with a paper towel or allow for additional air drying. If the igniter is surrounded by moisture, blot it gently with a paper towel and let it air dry as well.
Could It Be A Faulty Gas Igniter?
Why is my Viking range not working, range won’t turn on, even if it has power and is clean and dry? If your range burners still won’t ignite, it’s possible that the igniter is faulty and requires a professional replacement.
The igniter uses electrical power to open the range valve that allows gas to flow from your home supply. It must also generate an electrical spark to light the gas as it flows. If it’s unable to perform one or both of these functions, the burner won’t light. When the igniter takes longer than 30 seconds to light the burner or doesn’t glow and ignite it at all, it must be professionally replaced.
The experts at Dependable Repair Services can perform any Viking range repair to restore it’s superior function. Call today to schedule your service!