A commercial refrigerator that cools properly is key to any restaurant or food service operation. While brands like True are known for their durability, even this high-quality name requires repair or upkeep if it’s not maintaining its temperature. To ensure optimal function, we’ll troubleshoot common reasons for a True commercial refrigerator not cooling, including dirty condenser coils or a faulty thermostat.
Common Causes for a True Commercial Refrigerator Not Cooling
Why is my True commercial refrigerator warm? Answers can range from the need for simple maintenance to a variety of repairs. We’ll review the most likely reasons to help determine if a DIY fix or professional service is required.
Dirty Condenser Coils
One of the most common reasons for a True commercial refrigerator not cooling are dirty condenser coils. These coils help cool refrigerant, providing cool air for the refrigerator. However, accumulated dirt, dust and grease may impair the coils’ function. This can create warmer temperatures and food spoiling in commercial refrigerator storage compartments.
Just as commercial ice machine maintenance ensures proper ice production, cleaning refrigerator condenser coils every 3 months helps maintain the refrigerator’s temperature. Once the refrigerator is unplugged and all food items are removed, follow these simple steps to clean condenser coils:
- Locate the coils behind a bottom or top grate or on the refrigerator’s rear wall.
- With an appliance brush, remove any accumulated dust and debris from the coils and surrounding area.
- Use a vacuum hose attachment to clean all remaining debris.
- Apply a degreasing agent to remove accumulated grease.
- Replace bottom or top grate or reposition refrigerator before restoring power and replacing food items.
Doors Not Closing Properly
When you find your commercial refrigerator not cold enough check the doors to make sure they’re closing properly. A rubber gasket around the door provides a seal that keeps cold air in and warm air out of the refrigerator. The door’s hinges also ensure that the door is properly aligned and closing completely.
If the rubber gasket is ripped or torn, cold air can escape and warm air can enter, creating a warmer internal temperature. Similarly, if the door hinges are loose or broken, the door won’t close properly and cool air will escape. While loose hinges can be tightened to properly realign the doors, broken hinges or a damaged gasket require replacement.
A refrigerator’s thermostat measures the internal temperature, signaling the control board to prompt the compressor when additional cooling is needed. What is the proper temperature for a commercial refrigerator? It’s generally recommended that the temperature remain at 38°F for optimal cooling.
If the thermostat isn’t functioning properly, it won’t provide an accurate temperature reading and cool air won’t be produced when needed. Here’s how to properly assess the thermostat when you find your True commercial refrigerator not cooling:
- Make sure the thermostat isn’t blocked by food items that could alter its temperature readings. Remove or reposition any items that may be too close to the thermostat or vents that circulate air.
- If the thermostat isn’t blocked, use a separate thermometer to measure the refrigerator’s internal temperature.
- If the thermometer’s temperature is different from the thermostat’s reading, the thermostat may be faulty and need replacement.
If these troubleshooting tips don’t solve the problem then it’s possible that the refrigerator’s compressor is failing. The compressor is essential in the production of cool air for the refrigerator, condensing refrigerant before it enters the condenser coils. If the compressor isn’t working properly, the refrigerator won’t cool sufficiently.
In addition to your True commercial refrigerator not cooling properly, you may also notice the compressor running continuously or more loudly than usual. In these instances, we suggest that a professional service assess and replace the compressor as needed.
Need a commercial refrigerator repairman for your business? Look no further than Dependable Repair Services for fast and professional service.