A dryer that won’t start leaves laundry half done and your to-do list unfinished. Why is my Maytag dryer not turning on? The wrong setting may be selected, preventing an immediate start. Determine the most likely reasons for a Maytag dryer not starting with these troubleshooting tips.
4 Common Reasons For a Maytag Dryer Not Turning On
Excusing the possible part failure, the most common causes for a Maytag dryer not turning on have simple fixes. Here’s how to narrow down the problem and identify the solution.
Check Dryer Door
As a safety precaution, a Maytag dryer does not start unless the door is closed and latched. Once the latch is engaged, it signals the dryer that a drying cycle can begin. If the door isn’t firmly closed, or clothing is caught by the door latch, the latch won’t engage and a drying cycle won’t start. Always give the door a firm push when closing it and make sure the doorway is free of overhanging clothes.
If the latch still won’t engage, examine it for visible damage or test it with a multimeter. If the latch shows no continuity with multimeter testing or appears broken, it must be replaced.
Check Dryer Settings
If your Maytag dryer won’t start but has power, check the control panel to make sure the right setting is selected. Certain selections can delay the start of a drying cycle or prevent the dryer from turning on.
The following setting and control panel issues can prevent an immediate start:
- Control Lock: This feature locks all control panel functions to avoid an accidental start. If the Control Lock light is illuminated, press and hold the Cycle Signal button for 3 seconds. The light should turn off, indicating that the function is disabled.
- Wrinkle Reduction: If your dryer has a Wrinkle Reduction option it won’t start drying immediately and will instead spin periodically for more effective wrinkle removal. Make sure the dryer is set on an Automatic Dry or Timed Dry cycle for it to start drying immediately.
- Buttons weren’t firmly pressed: When turning the dryer on and selecting a cycle, it’s necessary to press each button firmly. If your Maytag dryer won’t start, just beeps, the button may have been pressed with too light a touch. The Start button, in particular, must be held for 2-5 seconds to begin a drying cycle.
Check Dryer Power
What does it mean when I press the Start button on my dryer nothing happens? It may not be receiving electrical power.
Check for these power issues when you find your Maytag dryer not turning on:
- Power cord isn’t plugged in: The cord must be fully plugged into a functioning outlet.
- Extension cord is used: These cords can’t reliably transmit the voltage a dryer requires, causing surges that interrupt power. You may also notice your dryer takes too long to dry clothes when inadequate power is transmitted.
- Blown fuse or circuit breaker: Check your home circuit breaker or fuse box for blown fuses or tripped breakers, replacing or resetting them as needed. Keep in mind that electric dryers have 2 fuses or breakers that must be assessed.
Maytag Dryer Failed Parts
If all else fails, a part malfunction could be the reason for a dryer not starting.
The following parts require a Maytag dryer repair service when they fail:
- Thermal fuse: The thermal fuse blows when the dryer is in danger of overheating, cutting off all power. While the dryer won’t start again until the fuse is replaced, the cause for overheating should be investigated before replacing it. As overheating is often caused by dryer vent clogs, vent cleanings should be part of regular dryer maintenance to prevent blockages.
- Start switch: When the Start button is pushed it activates the start switch, sending power to the drive motor. If the switch is defective, it won’t signal the motor and the dryer won’t start. If the dryer doesn’t make a humming sound after pushing the Start button, test the switch for continuity with a multimeter. A lack of continuity confirms that it’s failed.
- Drive motor: The drive motor turns the belt that rotates the dryer drum and powers the blower wheel that expels hot air out the vents. If the dryer makes a humming noise, check the blower wheel for obstructions. If it’s functioning properly, the drive motor is likely at fault.
Dependable Repair Services can fix a Maytag dryer not turning on or address any other repair needs. Schedule your expert service today!